Narativ with Zev Shalev

Narativ with Zev Shalev

The Narativ

NORTH KOREA LAUNCHES TEN MISSILES AFTER TRUMP’S ‘FRIENDLY’ GESTURE TO KIM.

Trump ordered the annual exercise with South Korea cut in half. South Korea’s foreign minister says nobody in Seoul or Washington knew it was coming. Kim Jong Un’s sister says she knows nothing about the contact Trump claims to have.

Zev Shalev's avatar
Zev Shalev
Aug 20, 2026
∙ Paid
Jade Gao/AFP/Getty Images

North Korea launched about ten short-range ballistic missiles from the area around Pyongyang at about 5 p.m. Thursday, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said. Each flew roughly 300 kilometers and dropped into the water off the North’s east coast. Japan’s prime minister’s office detected the launch and said nothing further. South Korea’s presidential national security council told Pyongyang to stop.

Donald Trump had already cut that exercise in half. Thursday was day four.

He did it in a Truth Social post on Sunday, hours before Ulchi Freedom Shield, the annual joint exercise with South Korea, began. The drills cost too much, he wrote, and sent a signal that was “totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea. He cited his relationship with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to back him over the war in Iran. On Wednesday the two militaries confirmed the cut: eleven days became five, ending Friday, with field training canceled or moved into simulators.

Nobody asked him for it.

The Narativ is a full briefing of original reporting and intelligent analysis on the day’s biggest stories. The summary is free to all subscribers while deeper dives are reserved for paid subscribers - now at 30% off. The Narativ is delivered to your inbox 5 days a week.

User's avatar

Continue reading this post for free, courtesy of Zev Shalev.

Or purchase a paid subscription.
© 2026 Zev Shalev · Privacy ∙ Terms ∙ Collection notice
Start your SubstackGet the app
Substack is the home for great culture